18 July 2014

The Indispensible Role of Parents

After Deacon Eugene O'Sullivan, Lois, Bro. Edgar and Sis. Lulu (and Father Anthony who I will feature later), another major influence on the diaconate was my parents.

I remember my mom taking me to Mass in my youth when I didn't want to go to Mass.  I was 11.  She still took me.

I remember her taking me to CCD in my youth when I didn't want to go to CCD.  I was 10.  She still took me.

My earliest memory of her teaching me to pray on my knees was when I was either 5 or 6 years old.  I remember my sister, Michelle, and me kneeling on the bed.  It felt funny.  We giggled the whole way through closing our eyes and bowing our heads.  At the time, there was an image or plaque of Our Mother of Perpetual Help on the wall.  According to legend, St. Luke painted this picture of a scared Toddler Jesus running to His Mama after having seen a vision of the crucifixion.

I have that image on my wall now.  In fact, I'm looking at it as I write this blog.

My mom taught me my first prayer before that image:

Now I lay me down to sleep.  I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
Watch me all through the night.  And wake me with the morning light.
Bless...(list names here).
Amen.

She told me that an old lady in the hospital gave her a picture of Our Mother of Perpetual Help when I was born in the hospital.  I pray for this unknown lady.

My dad's reversion back to the Catholic faith occurred around the Great Jubilee Year 2000.  It truly was a moment of grace.  He stumps me with Bible questions that I sometimes cannot answer.

My love my stepparents, too.  They were present in raising me.  During diaconate formation, when people would ask who was taking care of our kids, I would tell them that we have "three sets of parents" who help watch the kids, so that my wife and I could go to the formation classes. 

The third set are my in-laws.  From my earliest years to where I am today, my mom made me.  My dad made me.  My stepfather made me.  My stepfather made me.  My mother-in-law made me.  And my father-in-law made me.

My wife and I are grateful that all of our parents are still alive today.

Thank you everyone.  I love you all.

Thank you especially to you, Mom, for introducing me to God, for teaching me prayer, the Sign of the Cross, for taking me to Mass and CCD when I didn't want to go, for raising me, for helping me with formation, and for being there now.  I love you.

There is a great scene from The Passion of the Christ where Jesus kisses his mother on the cheek.  That is what I think of as I close this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment