18 July 2014

Legion of Mary Planted Seeds

In my last blog, I spoke about my first contact with Deacon Eugene & Lois O'Sullivan, a real permanent deacon and his wife, HERE.  Here, I'd like to recall a member of the Legion of Mary talking to me about the permanent diaconate.

His name was Edgar Villanueva.  He is married to Lulu Villanueva.  Both of them are devout Catholics.

It was on December 23, 1990.  I was 16 years old and a junior in high school.

Yes, I remember the date.  You might even be surprised that I carried this in my heart all these years.

There was a get-together at the Cano residence in San Jose.  It was a party to celebrate the priestly anniversary of my pastor.  That's how the date was easy to remember.  The Cano's were also devout Catholics.  They had a family member who was also a priest.  I'm not sure if it was an official Legion of Mary function but they was some connection to it.  I know Bro. Edgar was active in the Legion when he spoke to me.

At one point during the evening, Bro. Edgar and I were talking.  I think the rest of the teenagers were in the garage hanging out.  I remember looking out the sliding door at some point.  Eventually, we were seated somewhere.  My memory is a little vague here, but he must have asked me about the priesthood, and I must have remarked that I felt called to married life and was also attracted to being a permanent deacon.

He simply affirmed my comment about possibly being a married deacon.  "Yeah, that would be good," he said...or words to this effect.  And that was it, folks!  It was that simple.

He said a few more things, too, but the most important moment for me was when he encouraged me.  I clearly remember walking away that evening and going home with a firm disposition that I wanted to be a permanent deacon.  It just took someone to talk to me about it and inviting me to pursue it further.  I needed an invitation.

At the time, I knew that the minimum age for ordination was 35.  This meant that the earliest I could consider it would be in 20 years.

I like to say over these 20 years that my deacon "seminary was 20 years" long.  I was being formed gradually over those two decades by many ups and downs.

This was affirmed just recently by my first deacon formation director, Sr. Paulina, who said to me, "Your whole life has prepared you for ordination."

Choices I made in my youth, in my young adult years, in my choice of a wife, in my choices for schooling and a career, my financial and other choices, and in my choices now-- all of these led me to where I am today.  It's like eating.  One makes choices about what to put in one's body, and over the years it shapes one's body after many patterns of choices.

The Legion of Mary was vitally instrumental.  The Mother of Jesus has always been there for me at critical moments (and the not so critical moments) of my life.

Thank you, Edgar and Lulu Villanueva.  Thank you, Legion of Mary.  Thank you for planting seeds.




10th Grade

12th Grade

picture taken as bday gift for Mom



No comments:

Post a Comment