18 July 2014

Seed Watering: Fr. Anthony Hernandez

The next significant milestone in the diaconate was Richard Anthony Hernandez.  He is known now as Father Anthony.  I met him in either Spring or Summer of 1990 at Our Lady of Peace Church in Santa Clara.  I'd have to think more as to the correct year.

Toward the latter part of my high school years, he came in to my life.  At the time, he was a layman and not yet a priest.

He was the catechist I needed to form me in the Faith at that critical time in my life.  He, in fact, was a true master catechist, whose life was patterned after the Master Himself.  Of course, he wasn't perfect like all men save Our Lord and His Mother, but he was a saintly orthodox teacher of the holy Faith and a great doctor and scribe of the kingdom.

If I had to compare him in the lives of the saints, he would be like Jan Taranowski was to Karol Wojtyla or Albert was to Thomas, if I could use those holy men as analogies and even though I admit truly that I am far from Thomas or Karol.

There are so many events to describe that one blog would not do justice with all the beautiful stories I could tell.  And perhaps this is reserved for future blogs, esp. as they impacted the permanent diaconate.

For now, it is suffice to mention that he was versed in the Churches of the East and was eventually ordained a deacon and priest in the Byzantine rite.  He was my first exposure to the Byzantine East.  I knew that the Byzantine rite (outside the USA) allowed for married priests, and even though Fr. Anthony -- at the time Richard Hernandez -- invited me to consider the Byzantine rite, I knew that I would continue in the Roman rite.  Even in my youth, the Byzantine Catholic rite was part of my formation.

My exposure to the Byzantine rite developed while I was at the St. Ignatius Institute at the University of San Francisco.  Fr. Anthony was instrumental in writing my recommendation letter for admission into the program.  I was exposured to Holy Transfiguration Monastery in Ukiah, California (which falls within the Eparchy of Van Nuys which is larger than the Roman Diocese of Santa Rosa).  After a silent retreat there with two of my professors, I have not looked at retreats the same ever again.  It set the bar for me.

One of my Thanksgiving Masses in the next few months will be at a Divine Liturgy where I will function as a deacon.  I will say more of this later, I am sure.  This is scheduled for Sunday, Aug. 24, 2014.

A few weeks ago on June 28, 2014, Father came to my ordination.  When I saw him walking up to the cathedral entrance, I told him that he has been a true spiritual father to me.  I also "cheated" and went up to him during the Kiss of Peace at the Ordination Mass.

Thank you, Father Anthony.  May the peace of the Lord be with you always.  God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment