02 June 2016

I Baptized Baby Savannah in NICU While Daddy Eric Welker Held Her - Mom Lynn Died in Childbirth (Homily #60)

Baby Savannah's mom, Lynn Welker, surprisingly died after giving birth to her.

"Savannah, I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."



I was blessed, honored and privileged to have been part of this difficult chapter in the Welker Family. 




They were high school sweethearts.  I knew them as Navy cadets at Milpitas High School NJROTC.  I was a year or so ahead of them.

After walking in, I hugged Eric for a couple of minutes.  I cried.  We cried together.  I cried because, as a father of little kids and an infant myself, the thought of a shivering child crying moved me.  The thought that Lynn wasn't there physically to take care of her newborn moved me to tears.

Eric is a young widow now.  He spoke.  I listened. 

He said, "It takes a crisis to realize how much life is a gift." 

I administered the Rite of Baptism.  The hospital chaplain asked Eric if it was okay to take pictures, and Eric was fine with it.  I am not posting all of them here.  I did as much of the ritual as I could.  I blessed the sterilized water.


Homily #60
Gospel of Mark Ch. 10

Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me."  We believe that your Mommy is here with us in the communion of saints.  We pray for your Daddy, for J and N.  And we want you to have a successful surgery.

(That was the shortest homily I've ever given.)






Thank you, Eric.  Thank you, Lynn.

I told Baby Savannah before leaving, "Thank you for letting me be part of your life."



[Added to this blog on 7/25/2023: Eric remarried Nessa Brasil Hunt, and they asked me to officiate their marriage on July 22 HERE:        ]

[Added to this blog on 6/6/2016: I cited Eric's words to me in a sermon/homily I later preached at Holy Mass on June 5 HERE: http://marysdeacon.blogspot.com/2016/06/preaching-against-physician-assisted.html.]









+ Eternal rest grant unto Lynn, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon her.  May she rest in peace.  Amen.

__________________________________

39th baptism was a danger-of-death (emergency) baptism.

__________________________________

I am a married Catholic permanent deacon.  If I can be of service to you, I can be reached below:

CONTACT
Deacon Dennis Purificacion
Blog: queensservant.blogspot.com

St. Catherine's Catholic Church
Vallejo, California
(707) 553-1355


No comments:

Post a Comment