18 July 2014

First Contact: Deacon Eugene O'Sullivan

For my second entry, I'd like to remember the first permanent deacon for me to ever meet.  It must have been early high school, either 9th or 10th grade.  I was confirmed in 9th grade.

I'm sure I can look up his official assignment dates at the parish if I called his diocese.

I remember serving at Mass with him.  I remember his first day at the parish.  I remember how he explained to the people what a permanent deacon was in the Church.  I remember holding a candle for him when he proclaimed the Gospel.  I remember his reading glasses.  I remember how he would place his hand on the Book of Gospels as he proclaimed it, so that he wouldn't lose his place.  He had a gentle voice and spoke slowly.  I remember him giving homilies, but I don't remember what he said.  I remember him pouring water into the Chalice filled with unconsecrated wine as he prepared the altar.

I remember his suspenders.  I thought they were cool....and still do!  I wear suspenders, too, since I wear suit and tie frequently.  I think it honors the poor when I dress up.

I remember his wife, Lois.  She sat in the front pew.  I observed this even while I was serving Mass at the altar.  She closed her eyes as the Word of God was read.  I know she wasn't asleep since she would open them during the Responsorial Psalm and then close them again for the Second Reading.  Ha!  I sometimes close my eyes, too, as the Word of God is read at Mass.  (Although when I'm assisting Father at the sanctuary now, it's a lot harder to close my eyes since I have to see if he needs anything.) 

I know Deacon O'Sullivan and I interacted in the sacristy, but I don't remember details.  I'm pretty sure he knew my name since I recall him saying it a few times.

Oh, and I knew he was from Kansas.

All of this took place at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Milpitas.  The parish is in the Diocese of San Jose in California.

I can't remember more at the moment.  I'm sure I will later.

When I was admitted for diaconate formation, I inquired about him.  I learned that he passed away in the 2000s.  I found out that he was a nuclear engineer.  That's probably what brought him to Silicon Valley.

I prayed for his soul and the soul of his wife when I found out about their passing.  I felt like he wanted me to pray for the repose of his soul, and I also had a sense of encouragement.  I believe I entered this in my formation journal somewhere.

+ Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them.  May the souls of the faithfully departed through the mercy of God rest in peace.  Amen.

If I find a picture of him, I'll be sure to post it.  The Legion of Mary will be my third post, since the Legion was also instrumental.

Thank you, Deacon Eugene O'Sullivan.  Thank you, Lois.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment