08 August 2022

Called Out to Suicide-Drug Scene (& Almost Got Called to One Month Old Death); Other


A few months ago, I was dispatched (names withheld) to a scene where a man died in his house.  

It took me a while to post this b/c I wanted to respect confidentiality and needed time to think if I wanted to blog about this.  I decided to eventually blog b/c it is good for the public to understand a little snap shot of what law enforcement goes through.  As the Sergeant that oversees the chaplains said to the chaplains, when officers do good it doesn't make front page news, so any good that could be known to please do so.  So this is a little way to honor the officer who was present for this grieving family.

I also consoled the family and friends and helped with mortuary needs.  I also put on my clergy stole over my chaplain jacket to say liturgical prayers to bless the body, after checking in with family about this. 

The police officer on scene thanked me for my presence and, after I arrived, the officer had to go to the scene of an accident.  I was left by myself but had the lead chaplain available to call if needed.  I also told the officer that prayers would be offered related to the officer's family which the officer mentioned to me before leaving the scene for the accident.

A few days later, I found out that the scene was a suspected suicide and fentanyl drug case.  I learned later to use gloves if touching anything and other useful ways to be present.

___

On another day, I got a call from Dispatch looking for a chaplain on Sat. morning.  I was getting ready to go to a one-month old death at the hospital, but Dispatch said that the on-call chaplain on duty was able to make it after all.  So I didn't go.  'Was happy to be back up.

---

I've had other calls, too, outside my assigned times, but thankfully there were other chaplains available.

---

Received a birthday card from the Department.  Reminds me of how I also get birthday cards every year from my regular day job.

No comments:

Post a Comment