22 September 2017

Officiating My Dad's Convalidation Ceremony (Homily #96)


My dad's marriage is now in good standing with God and the Church.

After over two decades in a civil marriage, all the necessary preparation and permissions were granted for my dad and my lovely Mama Tess to have a "convalidation" on Sunday, Sept. 3, 2017.

A convalidation establishes a valid Catholic union.

Convalidation involves at least one Catholic spouse who is not married by a Catholic minister (without permission from the bishop), such as a civil marriage or marriage by a Protestant minister.  The Catholic Church then receives the vows in a simple rite that takes about 20 minutes without Mass.  I used the Order for Celebrating the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony (Outside Mass).

Catholics should be married in the Catholic Church. 

Even if one spouse is not Catholic, the Catholic should still be married in the Catholic Church (unless the bishop grants permission through a dispensation).

What is somewhat unique here is for a son to receive his own father's vows.


This is me and my Dad when we arrived at the church.


THE ORDER OF CELEBRATING MATRIMONY WITHOUT MASS

THE INTRODUCTORY RITES

LITURGY OF THE WORD
Homily #96: Dad & Mama Tess Convalidation


THE CELEBRATION OF MATRIMONY

The Questions Before the Consent
Video Clip 1 of 7: Questions Before Consent


THE CONSENT

Video Clip 2 of 7: The Consent w/the Blessing and Giving of Rings

THE NUPTIAL BLESSING
Nuptial Blessing
(I forgot to put out kneelers before we started. 
I told my Dad that we can just do the Nuptial Blessing standing, but he insisted on kneeling. 
During a Nuptial Mass, this is done after the Our Father.)

Video Clip 3 of 7: The Nuptial Blessing


THE CONCLUSION OF THE CELEBRATION

Video Clip 4 of 7: "You May Now Kiss the Bride."


Video Clip 5 of 7: Recessional
(Heaven was present in the Communion of the Saints.)


Video Clip 6 of 7: Thank you, Mama Mary!!!



Video Clip 7 of 7: Couple Hugs Each Other

(a marriage blessed by Almighty God)





We were going to go to Black Bear Diner, but by the time we left the church it was too late.  So we went to Denny's instead.  As one can see, the reception does not need to cost thousands of dollars.


Thank you, God, for giving my Dad the health to convalidate his marriage in the Church. 

Thank you, Mama Mary, for your intercession, and to whom I have placed this intention for 25 years.  You NEVER fail me, my Queen.

Deo gratias! 


*************************************************

POST-SCRIPT
(added on 12/20/17)

The Order allows the distribution of Holy Communion Outside Mass, but I did not give Holy Communion. 

My dad sent me a photo of him receiving Holy Communion a few days later:


This is worth more than gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment