10 September 2015

Day One of JP's Altar Server Training

Protestants call them PKs for "Pastor's Kids".  I don't think there's a catchy equivalent term for Catholics (since Latin rite pastors have been celibate for centuries).

But if there was something close to kids of married Catholic permanent deacons they'd be called "Deacon's Kids" I guess or DKs.

Faith Marie the DK taking notes at her Kuya's altar server training.


I hear that PKs experience some pressure of being a PK.  I'm not familiar with an equivalent one for the DKs, although I guess one can say that I occasionally feel some of the same issues as Protestant clergy and the expectations made of their families. 

Since the restoration of the permanent diaconate in the West (Latin rite) about 50 years ago, Latin rite Catholic clergy culture (in the Novus Ordo/Ordinary Form) has included talk about families.  Priests at meetings will ask about deacon's kids and grandkids at meetings.  They are friendly to my kids. 

When the minimum age of permanent deacons was set to 35, I'm sure that it was envisioned that those with young kids would be ordained.  Eastern Catholic deacons and married Eastern rite priests with kids probably have more in common with Protestant clergy and their PKs since they've pretty much had a married clergy for centuries.

But I digress.

* * *
 

John Paul is a DK.  He briefly served last Christmas with minimal training from the new parochial vicar (assistant pastor).  Back then, he said to me, "We will serve together as father and son."  I blogged about that HERE.

I came in late for a few minutes to the training b/c I was asked to do Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament inside the church, while my family started Day One of JP the DK's altar server training.

JP the DK.

I have to say that I AM proud of him for wanting to do this on his own.  During dinner, I asked my  JP the DK what was the best part of the training today during a late dinner.  He said, "With great power comes great responsibility." 

This line is from Spider-Man.  It was something that Peter Parker's Uncle Ben said as he lay dying in the arms of Peter Parker (aka Spider-Man).



And responsibility is right.

Even kids are given great responsibility at Mass as servers.  They are servers at the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.




Here's a photo I took from outside the door.  I had to step out with little Faith Marie cuz she fussed a bit during the training. 

My two sons are in the middle.  My wife is on the left.



My wife took this one of my three DK's.


 Fr. Gerome is in the background.


At the end of the evening, my wife remarked along the lines of the following, "Are you affirmed that what he [JP] did is a validation of your life's choices?"

I replied, "I haven't looked at it like that.  But, yeah, it is."

It is.



So here's to DKs everywhere!

 
DK says, "Bye, everyone!"


No comments:

Post a Comment