12 October 2022

Received Request to Post This Cop Story on NextDoor Social Media Page

 


I registered with nextdoor b/c a local resident named Laura asked me to post this story on nextdoor for her.  I gave my word, so here I am.


Laura was in tears as she told me this story.  She said that someone she knew was just diagnosed with an illness.  I can't remember the name of the specific medical condition but think it had something to do with cancer.  

Her friend was still able to drive.  On her way home after receiving news of the diagnosis, Laura's friend was pulled over by a police officer.  

I'm not sure if it was the California Highway Patrol or the local agency.  I didn't ask what agency, and I didn't ask why she was pulled over.  In a way, it didn't matter.

I just listened.

Laura said that the police officer took his time talking to her friend in that encounter.  The law enforcement officer was present at this most difficult time in her friend's life listening to her.  

I don't know what was said, but I guess the impact was such that it was strong enough to share with Laura who, in turn, shared it with me.  And now I share it with you.

I know it's a simple story without a lot of twists and turns.  It's straightforward without a lot of press coverage and media fanfare.  It's just a true story of an unknown cop who took time to be with an unknown person in the community who was just diagnosed with one of the worst life changing moments one can experience.  

And that's it really.  

It's one human being with another human being.  We all share it, that experience with illness.  And being present with someone in their darkest moment of need...

...to tell them that they are not alone.

And that's who is next door.  Thank you for your time.

Very Respectfully,
Police Chaplain D. Purificacion
dennis.purificacion@cityofvallejo.net
dpurificacion@stcsv.org



No comments:

Post a Comment