13 January 2017

How Did We All Get "21" in Blackjack? & Teaching Kids Virtue with Blackjack

Will someone please explain a couple of things to me?

Statistically, what are the odds of this?

Can someone please give me a C-3PO-ish answer?

How did my 3 kids and I each get "21" in the same round of Blackjack?

Take a look at the picture.

And not only that, how did my daughter (who was the house dealer on the left) get all hearts?

I told the kids that maybe our Guardian Angels were playing a joke on us (even though St. Thomas Aquinas would say that Angels don't possess a sense of humor the way human beings possess a sense of humor as necessary accidents).

I mean, I was TOTALLY floored!!!  The cards were dealt absolutely random as we told the House "hit me".

First, I said, "I have 21."

Then JP said, "Me, too," followed by EJ.

When Mariana started to show her cards, they were ALL hearts!  She is named, after all, for LOVE.  Then she got 21!

Our House rule (and I think this is true of Blackjack rules) is that if there is a tie between the House and a player, then the House wins.  I could be wrong, but that's how we operated.

This was my very first time I taught the kids.  We played about 10 rounds, and I told them that this was our last round.

Everyone started off with $5 each.  Here were the results at the end:

1st Place: Mariana -- $11
2nd Place: E.J. -- $5
3rd Place: JP -- $4
4th Place: Dad (me) -- $0

I really, really, really didn't try to get last place.   I kid you not.  It was the weirdest thing today, on different levels.

* * *

Anyways, here are some points I wanted to make:

- I taught the kids the importance of following rules.

- They learned that infraction of the rules can ruin a game.

- No cheating.  This respects the 7th Commandment.  It is fairness and justice.

- If they make mistakes during the game, the greater good is that they learn from their mistakes.

- Gambling in moderation and recreation (as opposed to gambling one's livelihood) is not immoral in itself.*

*From Catechism of the Catholic Church #2413:

"Games of chance (card games, etc.) or wagers are not in themselves contrary to justice. They become morally unacceptable when they deprive someone of what is necessary to provide for his needs and those of others. The passion for gambling risks becoming an enslavement. Unfair wagers and cheating at games constitute grave matter, unless the damage inflicted is so slight that the one who suffers it cannot reasonably consider it significant."


- Oh, and uh, I dazzled them -- and me for that matter(!) -- when I did a one-hand cutting of the cards during shuffling.

__________________________

ADDED ON 1/14/17: Someone replied with an awesome C-3PO-like answer!  Here it is:

According to what I can find the odds of one 21 is 12.18%. Therefore, the odds of all 4 of you getting it in a single round is approximately .02%, or in C-3PO terms, 4,544-to-1, so less likely than successfully navigating an asteroid field (3,720-to-1).

And actually, since none of you had a natural blackjack, it's only 7.36%, which makes for the odds being .003%, or 34,079-to-1, so roughly 10 times as hard as navigating an asteroid field.

No comments:

Post a Comment