11 October 2015

Meeting Parishioners of St. Joseph's in Vacaville

The parish community welcomed me at the 10am and 12pm Masses.  My family was introduced at both Masses after the post-Communion prayer.

Pat was there to help once again.  I loved how she was conscious of the GIRM and what to do when a deacon is present at Mass.  Her friends, Clarissa and Paz, helped me, too.  Clarissa's name is pronounced clar-ree-sa, since in Hawaii the "i" sounds like a strong "e".   The "3 Musketeers" were Pat, Clarissa and Paz.

Ron and Ann were students enrolled in the Oakland Diocesan School for Pastoral Ministry when I was director.  Ron reminded me that I brought him in to offer a lector training workshop.  I can't believe that this has come around full circle, in a sense.  That was over 5 years ago.  He sits as vice chair of the Parish Pastoral Council.

I met his daughter-in-law, Rachel, who was baptized at the Easter Vigil last month.  She and my wife spoke.  We joked around about her being baptized but were also semi-serious how all her sins were removed.

I was very impressed with Rachel's daughter, Jade, who is a candidate for Confirmation and in 8th grade.  She helped bring her mom to the Church.  I told the family that this makes her special and how important the Sacrament of Confirmation.

I saw Kitty who attended St. Catherine's.  I have her a big hug and joked around about being "partners in crime."  I met her friends, Jan and Leonard, who plan to help me at this Wednesday's Liturgy of the Word.

Sis. Virgie, sister of Cherie Estaquiao of St. Catherine's, helped me.  During Holy Communion, I thought I saw a teenage boy drop the Host and then carry the Host to his pew.  As she came to my Communion line, I whispered to her what I thought I saw.

Virgie must have done something because the mom of the boy, who was well dressed for Mass, said that her so did consume the Host.  I said okay and appreciated her telling me.  On the one hand, I felt bad, but on the other hand when I told my wife she said that I did the right thing.

My met Becky, the sister of Deacon Rudy's wife, Rory.

I met Brian the music director.  We checked in about music, and I think he appreciated that I try to sing or chant what I can.  I'm glad I was able to talk to him.  He was a very friendly guy.

I shook a lot of hands and met new faces.  A Knight of Columbus welcomed me, along with members from Couples for Christ and Families in Christ Jesus.

Before the 12pm Mass, I met Dolly, Lea, and Annette H. who helped orient me.

I also met Natalian an usher who thought I was a transitional deacon.  Cherie E's other sister, Victoria, introduced herself.  I was delighted to meet at Estaquiao.

Esther and her husband, Dennis, who were active with Marriage Ministry were there.  I told Esther she was an apostle.

Susan the school principal welcomed me, along with her daughter, Lily, a freshman at UC Betkeley. We talked about some events and Vallejo.  She was a dedicated mom and educator.

Alice who helps with the Latin Mass asked me if I was the new deacon and if my family was planning to attend the Latin Mass.  I said yes I am but my family planned to attend the Latin Mass another day.  I also said that I was not trained in assisting at the Latin Mass.  I would love to learn since it is out patrimony as Catholics to attend Mass in Latin.  People should not be hostile to it.

My former St. Pat's High student, Pauline, spoke to me.  That made me even more happy to see a familiar face.  She and my wife spoke.  I also got to see her 5-moth old baby.  She called me "Mr. P." like my high school teaching days.  This moved me greatly to see a former student attend Mass on her own without anyone to tell her to go to Mass.

But my best and greatest moment was with my kids.  After the 12pm Mass, the 3 kids were being silly.  As I was greeting people after Mass, the kids would pretend to "introduce themselves" to me.  I would say, "Oh, nice to meet you.  What's your name?"  And then they would go back in line to greet me after every 3 or 4 parishioners.  They giggled as they did this.  And I loved it!




No comments:

Post a Comment