11 August 2014

5th Homily: Leaving All For The Kingdom

Today is the Feast of St. Claire. I assisted at Mass with a visiting priest.  After I read the Gospel, I turned to Father, and  he motioned me to do the homily. I had a few moments to prepare. After a brief prayer to the Holy Spirit, I spoke the following. 

___________________________________________________________________

Homily: Leaving All For the Kingdom
Feast of St. Claire

The Spirit and the Bride say, "Come."  The Spirit and the Bride say, "Come, Lord Jesus!"  Maranatha!  The Church is the Bride of Christ.  Jesus is the Bridegroom.

Today is the Feast of St. Claire.  I recently visited the Poor Claire Nuns Convent.  One of my friends from high school entered this Order.

I remember looking at one of the Sisters [who was the porter] who was in the Order for 40 years.  As I left, I just stared at her smiling.  She was soooooo beautiful.  She would have been in her early sixties or mid-sixties.  She had the beauty of a woman who gave herself totally to God in prayer.  Like today's Gospel, she left all to follow Christ.

We, too, are called to follow Christ in a most radical way-- in matrimony, in the blessed single life, and even as priests and nuns.  We must encourage vocations to the priesthood and religious life.  They don't grow on trees, brothers and sisters.  We, the People of God, the Church, need to support those who have left father and mother and lands.

In the Middle East, there are Christians who have left father and mother and lands for the sake of Christ.  They are persecuted and even martyred for Him.  We must pray for the persecuted and the oppressed there.  Some ways to help them include praying and contributing funds to assist them.  Another way is to tell people about what is happening there.

So whether it's the Poor Claire nuns, or persecuted Christians, or us who have given up all to follow Christ, let us leave all to follow Him.  The Church is the Bride of Christ.

"And everyone who has given up houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands for the sake of my name will receive a hundred times more, and will inherit eternal life."

_______________________________________________________________________

My wife said while there were instances of substance here but that two areas of improvement are (a) making the better connection of the major points in the homily and (b) saying more details about St. Claire's life.

She also thought somehow St. Claire was involved with my diaconate vocation. 


St. Claire, friend of St. Francis the Deacon, pray for us.







No comments:

Post a Comment