31 October 2021

Finally Met SPSV High School Legend

---

After 23 years, I finally got to meet Mr. A., a St. Pat's High School teacher legend, in person.

Brandon Angelo was my predecessor as Religion Teacher at St. Patrick-St. Vincent High School in Vallejo, CA, where I taught for 4 years.  During that time, I had about 500-600 students formally registered as my students.  Some time after I left to finish my dissertation, he then returned to St. Pat's for a bit and then left again.  Both of us left St. Pat's to finish grad school.  But both of us were grateful for our time there.  

There was one thing he said that stuck with me.  He talked about how we planted seeds with young minds.  I agreed and pondered the awesomeness of teaching teenagers.  We then talked about how we still remember our students, and I could see the joy in his eyes as we reminisced about them and even old teacher colleagues like Mr. Lastoski and Mr. Black.  One student that particularly brought us great delight was Jonathan Biascan (SPSV Class of 2001).

It is planting seeds as teachers but especially as teachers of the Faith that gave us great joy.  What a privilege that God has given us!  I've also had the joy of helping students even into their adulthood and their own families in different ways.

As former SPSV Religion teachers, we also got to talk about a variety of other things: the high school, old colleagues like Chuck Ross who was one of my mentors, family and fatherhood, and life.

In that 30 minutes or so that we chatted, I felt alot in common with him.  It brought back old memories.  I have considered him an ally in the spiritual war against evil since I first heard of him in 1998, as his reputation preceeded him.  And my brief time with him only solidified that.

My one regret is that I did not meet him sooner.

As high school teachers, Mr. A. and I have felt really blessed.

When reflecting on the dignity and call of being a teacher, I am reminded of a story about St. Peter meeting 4 people in Heaven.  St Peter asked the 4 why he should let them through the Pearly Gates.

The first person said, "Well, I entered the medical profession, saved lives, protected patients' rights, and healed people."  St Peter said, "Welcome!"

The second person said, "I was a businesswoman who helped people put food on their table, kept their water running, and helped people get a roof over their heads."  St. Peter said, "Welcome!"

The third person said, "I was a talented musician and artist and brought joy to sad people and lifted up their hearts to inspirational things."  St. Peter said, "Welcome!" 

St. Peter then asked the fourth person, "Have you got anything to say?  I've been waiting patiently for an answer."  The fourth person stood there and kept thinking and thinking and thinking.  After a while, the fourth person eventually said, "I really can't think of anything great.  But do you see those 3 people that just spoke?  Well, I was their teacher."



POST-SCRIPT (added on 3/25/2023)

How I react whenever I run into a former student that calls me "Mr. Purificacion" or "Mr. P.":


No comments:

Post a Comment