19 August 2018

Brought Holy Communion to Hospital-Confined Mother Who Just Gave Birth

(photo courtesy of parents of Baby Joan Miriam; used with permission)


The Eucharist was so important for this couple.   

Even after going through the hardships of childbirth, they wanted the Bread of Life.

In the days of the early Church, the Eucharist was brought to those who were confined.

The Catholic Church continues this practice.



The readings from Sunday Mass (Ordinary Form in Roman Rite) were from Jn. 6.

In John 6, Jesus taught about feeding with His flesh. 

On this historic day, I also offered a few words 

Perhaps Baby Joan will one day see this post when she is an adult and know her parents' witness.






While with the couple, I told them that Jesus was present and shared their joys and trials.

The Church shares in the ups and downs of young families.

The item around my neck contained a "pyx" which holds the Blessed Eucharist.



After finishing the Communion of the Sick in Ordinary Circumstances, I then used a brief blessing for mothers after childbirth from the Book of Blessings.


* * *



On the way to the hospital, I actually passed by a local abortion clinic in my car.  As a deacon, blessings can be imparted as permitted by Church law.  So I made the Sign of the Cross over the abortion clinic with the Blessed Sacrament in the pyx and sung Tantum Ergo.   My hope was that conversions would take place.  

I was on my way to celebrate new life, by bringing the Bread of Life, and praying that an institution that kills new life may be brought to Him who is the Way, the Truth and the Life.  Choose life!

Then, on my way from the hospital to my car, a lady told me that her husband was in the hospital.  I then said a prayer with some words of comfort and then gave her a blessing.  In retrospect, I wish I had recommended the Chaplet of Mercy to her.

I am grateful for this opportunity to serve this unassuming family in their great moment of childbirth.


I remember my own experiences of having to stay at the hospital and how, on more than one occasion, as a new dad, I had difficulty getting someone to bring us Holy Communion to my wife who had requested the Eucharist.

Not all hospitals have chaplain services aware of what to do for Catholics, and the Catholic chaplain, if any, was not always readily available.  My wife and I once had a Baptist chaplain sent to our room out of what I guess was a misunderstanding on the part of the hospital staff.  

We repeatedly asked for a Catholic to bring us Holy Communion, and we were explicit in saying that the person didn't need to be a priest.  We just needed the Eucharist for the day, as we were in the state of grace and didn't need Confession at that moment.  

Out of 6 childbirth experiences, the 6th childbirth was when a priest was actually available, but for the other 5 childbirths the Catholics that brought us Holy Communion from the local parishes were lay people.

While deacons and commissioned laity can bring the Eucharist to the sick and homebound, the two sacraments that only a priest may administer are Anointing of the Sick and Confession.  These are gifts.  My wife received all three before the birth of our 6th child.  

I was grateful for the gift of the Eucharist, even on the journey of being confined in a hospital labor and delivery room.  As Jesus said, "I am with you always until the end of the world."  He is with us always and most especially in hospitals throughout the world through the Sacraments.


* * *

I hope our industrialized society has a greater understanding that when a woman delivers, there is a period of healing that needs to take place with her body.  She is not lickity-split ready to be her ol'chippery self as if it's business as usual.  Childbirth is taxing on a woman's body.

There is a certain wisdom with the Sacramental life of the Church.  And especially in the cases of labor, delivery and post-delivery care, the Sacraments strengthen and remind us that Jesus is present all the more during the mystery of the birth of a child.



* * *  

Thank you, Baby Joan, for letting me and Jesus's Church be part of your family history.

May you be a great saint in Our Heavenly Father's Kingdom!

No comments:

Post a Comment