14 April 2017

Solemn Intercessions of Good Friday (Still Learning)



I only started practicing for the Solemn Intercessions on the morning of Good Friday (just in case I had to do them). 

I didn't know that I was going to go to the 12pm Good Friday services until I found out earlier that morning with some deacons changing the schedule.

By comparison with how I did them in 2016, I followed more of the Gregorian chant notes (instead of a basic tone) for 2017.  It is definitely progress from 2015 where I only used a basic tone.

I accidentally skipped 2 petitions when the pages stuck together.  Mea culpa.


For someone who is not a professional singer, I'm hoping this passes muster until I get more face time in front of a live congregation over time.  I ask the Lord and His congregation to pardon my faults.  The Sacred Liturgy should be as solemn as possible.

My wife reminded me of something from diaconate formation: Always be ready if asked.  I should regularly practice these throughout the year perhaps, and not just during Lent. 

If you are reading this and are not a professional singer and are asked to chant for Masses, keep in mind that you have to start somewhere.  Use basic tone (which the rubrics allow, I believe), until you can hit the right notes.

Of course, formal training is good.  This was the training video I used.  I didn't hit the same high notes, but this was my guide this year.  Thank you to those who put this together!



And that's how I have to look at it and accept the times I did not get the notes right.  I need to think over the long haul and work towards making the Solemn Intercessions such that it moves people closer to God with the Church's mind on sacred worship.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment