15 April 2017

My First Time Chanting the Exultet (Easter Proclamation)



It was difficult at the beginning.  But when the people sang "And with your spirit," I felt a surge of strength.

In the darkness of the night, I saw before me a huge sea of people.

I was able to see them only because they were illuminated by the Light of Christ (Paschal Candle).



* * *

So imagine this:

Just a few minutes before all this at sunset, the Holy Fire was blessed.  The Paschal Candle was lit from it.

The packed church was darkened.  God's People lit their candles from the Paschal Candle.

I then incensed the Epistles and the Paschal Candle. 





Then, standing from the ambo (pulpit), I looked out and was awed at the sight.  It was quite a sight.

In a way, I was distracted.  During practice, I had planned on not looking at the people.  But how could I not look at them... and ponder?

So when I started the Exultet (Easter Proclamation), I stood before a profound mystery.  Yes, I thought of these mysteries as I stood at the ambo.

But I had a "job" to do.  I couldn't just stand there and not move the Sacred Liturgy forward.  It is the deacon's task to chant the Easter Proclamation.  This lasts about 10 minutes. 

And chant it, I tried, with not just words but heart.




So now, returning to the people's "And with your spirit," before this I was quite different.  The cantor (Rex Manalansan) who helped me practice the Exultet noticed this, too.

Humanly speaking, of course, the first time is the hardest.  And that's how I'm going to look at this from the natural level.

But beyond this, I unite this moment with that of Christ Crucified and Risen.  It is the only way it all makes sense.  I would not have given my life to Him all these decades had He not risen from the dead.

The Easter mystery, proclaimed in the Exultet, is a powerful mystery!  I feel blessed and privileged, and naturally I feel relieved.

Christ is risen!  Alleluia!

No comments:

Post a Comment