29 December 2015

What I Told Jesus in the Eucharist During a Holy Hour Today

In Fr. Leo's homily at the noon Mass today, he explained the Canticle of Simeon.

At one point, he said that this was included in Compline (Night Prayer) from the Liturgy of the Hours.  Then he said that it was "compline not complain," and I laughed out loud.  He pointed to me and said, "The deacon knows what I'm talking about."  And he continued to say something else.

After his homily, I felt compelled to do Compline. In fact, when I left St. Rose of Lima in Crockett, I went to St Catherine's in Vallejo. I actually sat in the church for an hour with Jesus in the Tabernacle and did Daytime Prayer (which comes after Lauds and before Vespers).  It's been a while since I did Daytime Prayer.  Lately, I've only focused on doing Lauds (Morning Prayer) and Vespers (Evening Prayer).  And given this past week or so with the birth of my newborn, this time alone with the Blessed Sacrament was a welcome respite even if only for a moment.

Then, I told Jesus that His Church was in ruins, that I was in ruins without Him, and then I presented to Him in my mind's eye all the people I knew who had some type of irregular pastoral problem to address.  I cried and sobbed for them and His Church and kissed the crucifix on my rosary.  I begged the loving Father for mercy during this Year of Mercy.  I told Him that I trusted Him.  I wanted them to go to Heaven.  I felt peace afterwards, a peace I haven't had in a while.  Jesus didn't tell me anything about the people I prayed for, but the only thing I strongly sensed Him tell me in my heart were the words, "Follow Me."  After a few minutes, I got up and went about my tasks for the day.

And that was it.  It was that simple.

I hope to do Compline tonight.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment