09 November 2014

"How Long?"

My wife and I prayed Lauds (Liturgy of the Hours) together this morning. 

When I started the Invitatory Psalm, my heart was not into the prayer.  My will was but not so much my affective side. 

I then stopped in the middle and thought about how two lovers in love with each other do not talk this way with each other the way I was praying.  I also thought about how I first began to practice my faith and how I did not talk to God this way.

So I put my heart into the prayer.

And then for the hymn one of my favorite hymns was listed, "The Church's One Foundation."  I believe this was composed by an Anglican.  I used these lines in my wedding vows to my wife many years ago.

The lines which affected me most this morning were as follows:

Though with a scornful wonder /
Men see her sore oppressed /
By schisms rent asunder /
By heresies distressed /

Yet saints their watch are keeping /
Their cry goes up, "How Long?" /
And soon the night of weeping /
Shall be the morn of song.




It is the Feast of the Dedication of St. John Lateran today.  Before St. Peter's Basilica, this was the Pope's cathedral.

After Lauds, I played dominoes with my kids.  It was fun.

I am grateful to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment