04 September 2014

5-Yr. Old Asked, "Is Jesus Real?"


A 5-yr. old kid asked me a question right before Mass started.

Last Sunday, I was responsible for preparing his family that had a baby baptized at the noon Mass.  At some point before all this happened, he turned to his parents and said, "Oh, there he is!"  He was referring to me.

Later, he came up to me right before Mass started.  I crouched down to listen to him at eye level.

He said, "Is Jesus real?"

I said, "Yes, He is very real.  And you will meet Him one day."

He listened very intently.  I saw in his eyes how he pondered this.

Then I said, "He is my best friend, and I love Him."

After a few seconds passed, I said, "How old are you?"

He held up five fingers.  I immediately thought of my 5-year old son.  I didn't tell him that I had a son like him.  It could have confused him (since even many adults cannot tell a difference between a deacon and a priest).  I was silent for this reason, yes, but I was even more silent because I stood before a mystery right in front of me.  And it awed me.

Then, Mass started.

How the mysteries of the Kingdom of God truly belong to the childlike!



Picture

No comments:

Post a Comment