25 February 2015

Raising My Hand to Console a Paramedic's Patient

The kids and I got a routine oil change for our family vehicle yesterday.  But it was far from routine.

As we walked to the waiting room, a fire truck came first.  Then, the ambulance came.

We stopped and watched.  I told the kids to pray. 

I took out my rosary and prayed the Chaplet of Divine Mercy while a lady was being led to the ambulance gurney.  One of her arms was shaking violently. 

The Chaplet of Divine Mercy is powerful, especially for the dying.  I didn't know whether she was dying or not.  It didn't matter.  This chaplet was for her specifically in her time of need.

My eldest then said, "You're the only deacon here."

With his words, for some reason, I was reminded of the consolation that comes with the Church's blessing.  Then, I took a few steps such that the troubled lady would be able to see the public act I was going to make. 

I raised my arm high in blessing.

She saw me.

I hope it consoled her.

Others, like the paramedics, saw me, too.  But I was not here for them.  I was here for her.

I made the Sign of the Cross before the ambulance doors closed.  Both her arms were shivering.

After the doors closed, the kids and I went inside to our waiting room to the noise of ambulance sirens and lights.

 
 
 


A deacon may grant a blessing according to liturgical books.  I didn't have any liturgical books.  I also wish I had a stole to wear, the one that I keep in my glove compartment.  But I had neither with me.  So I simply raised my hand to console and ask God's blessing.

The quick event took about two minutes.

In such cases, a priest would have been preferred, personally speaking, to offer assistance especially if she was dying.  But there was no priest available. 

Any Catholic -- clergy or not -- should pray in such instances for the dying.  The Chaplet of Mercy and the rosary are powerful prayers in such cases.

I hope the lady turned out okay.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment